Mobile Home Permits

Manufactured Home Permits are issued only for specific areas within the city limits of Liberty. Ordinance No. 915 of the City’s Code of Ordinances prohibits manufactured housing to be placed in certain areas of the city. This permit process takes anywhere from two weeks to two months. 

Any person who violates any provision of the manufactured home ordinance shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not less than ten and no/100 ($10.00) nor more than two hundred and no/100 ($200.00) dollars. Each day that a violation of any such provision continues shall constitute a separate offense. 

Some of the things you need to know to know about Manufactured Housing include:

  • Any manufactured home that was manufactured before June 15, 1976 shall not be allowed in the City of Liberty. Any manufactured home that was manufactured after June 15, 1976 not bearing the label or seal of compliance with the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards shall not be allowed in the City of Liberty.
  • You must first determine whether or not the property you plan to place a manufactured home is inside or outside the City’s “No Manufactured Home Zone”. You can do so by providing the legal description of the property to the Inspections & Permits Department located at City Hall, 1829 Sam Houston, Liberty, Texas 77575, for review. The property must also conform to all requirements set forth by the City’s Subdivision Ordinance.
  • If you currently have a manufactured home inside of the “No Manufactured Home Zone”, and you are the property owner, you are allowed a one time change-out. It will be documented in the City’s records that a one time change-out was permitted for the location and there will be no more permits issued for a manufactured home on that particular property. There are certain requirements regarding the foundation and the size of the new manufactured home that will need to be satisfied in order to obtain approval for the one time change-out.
  • Once it is determined that a manufactured home is allowed on the property in question, you will need to obtain a manufactured home application. You can pick this paperwork up in the Inspections & Permits Department located in City Hall. This paperwork will need to be filled out in its entirety and turned in with a site plan of where you plan to place the manufactured home on the property. The City Inspector will review the application and either approve or disapprove it accordingly.
  • Once the application is approved, a permit will be issued to the owner at a cost of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) before the home is moved onto site.
  • It will be the responsibility of the homeowner/applicant to make sure the following permits are pulled for the manufactured home.
    • Manufactured Home Permit: This is the permit obtained after the application is filled out and the site is approved.
    • Electrical Permit: This permit will be issued to a State Licensed Electrician.
    • Plumbing Permit: This permit will be issued to a State Licensed Master Plumber.
    • HVAC: This permit will be issued to a State Licensed A/C Contractor.

All of these permits must be acquired and the skirting must be completed before any utilities will be connected to the manufactured home.