Driving Safety Course
One who holds a Class C driver license and who is charged with a Class C traffic violation may be eligible to request of the court to take a Texas-approved driving safety course.
Enter a plea of no contest or guilty before the appearance date on the notice to appear;
Present to the court a valid Texas driver license;
Present to the court proof of financial responsibility (automobile insurance);
Present to the court a certified copy of his/her driver record from the Department of Public Safety;
Present to the court a uniform certificate of completion of a driving safety course from a Texas Education Agency approved course within 90 days from the request; and,
Pay court costs of $107.00.
He/she is NOT eligible, if he/she:
- Was driving 95 miles per hour or more
- Was driving 25 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit;
- Failed to remain at the scene of an accident;
- Failed to give information and aid;
- Was passing a school bus;
- Committed an offense in a construction or maintenance work zone while workers were present;
- Committed a serious traffic violation (involves driving a commercial motor vehicle).
The court may dismiss only one charge for each driver safety course.