Liberty City Hall
Located on one of the original plazas set out in 1831 by Mexican Land Commissioner J. Francisco Madero, the new Liberty City Hall complex has rapidly become one of the real architectural jewels in the city. In addition to the building itself, the square includes the Vara Martin Daniel Pavilion and a downtown green space.
In 2004, the Liberty City Council, under the leadership of former Mayor Bruce Halstead, approved an ambitious capitol improvement project that has provided the City of Liberty with state-of-the-art facilities. As noted elsewhere on this website, the first such improvement was the construction of a $1.5 million station house for the fire department and the emergency medical service on Lakeland Drive. A modern, spacious animal control shelter was also constructed at the same time on adjacent property. The second phase of the project was the construction of the new City Hall, and the third phase -- now under construction -- is a major renovation and expansion of the Geraldine D. Humphreys Cultural Center. The $2.1 million City Hall construction project began in 2005 and was completed in the fall of 2006. Existing structures located on the site were removed in order to keep the City Hall in the center of downtown. The modern building includes the Liberty Center, a spacious meeting room with a modern kitchen. Many local clubs and organizations meet here weekly. Dances, parties, receptions, and many public forums and events are also held here regularly. The building also includes the Council Chamber, offices for many city departments, meeting rooms, and the latest amenities. Spacious hallways, natural earth tones, efficient use of the 17,000 square foot building, and the latest technical and security provisions help to make the City Hall an inviting place to work and visit. Dedicated November 2, 2006.